AMAK Public Union organized a Round Table on “Accessibility for disabled people” on 30.11.2017 with organizational support of the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection under the project “Accessible Transport for Disabled Persons in Azerbaijan: Data Collection, Preparation of Proposals Package”. The event was held at the Conference Hall of the Research and Training Center for Labor and Social Problems at the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection of Population.
The objectives of the event were the following:
o To raise awareness about the equal rights of disabled people
o Identify the impediments that prevent disabled people from being equal members of society
o To inform participants about legislation in force and programs in the field of disability
o Raise awareness about the ethical behavior with disabled persons
o Identify the current situation in ensuring the rights of disabled people and the position of the relevant government and non-governmental organizations in this process
o Increase the awarence of accessibility
Ministry of Labor and Social Protection of Population, Ministry of Education, Baku Metropolitan, Main State Traffic Police Department, Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Communication and High Technologies, The Office of the Ombudsman, State Committee for Family, Women and Children Affairs, State Committee for Urban Planning and Architecture, World Health Organization, British Council and 41 local NGOs took part in the round table meeting.
The speakers delivered speeches on the following topics:
1. Opening Speech — Vugar Hasanov, Director of Scientific Research and Training Center for Labor and Social Problems under Ministry of Labor and Social Protection of Population and Vusal Rajabli, President of AMAK
2. Project Information — Vafa Huseynli, Road Traffic Safety Projects and Training Manager
3. “Creating Equal Opportunities for Disabled Persons — Current Legislation and Programs» — Mugalib Mahmudov,Ombudsman Apparatus, Sector Director
4. “Involvement of disabled children in education — inclusive education” — Malahat Hajiyeva
5. “Using correct terms and expressions in relation to persons with disabilities "- Ms. Zahra Hasanova, Senior Research Fellow at the Center for Research and Training on Labor and Social Problems
The event continued with discussions on the following questions and all participants expressed their views on the issue they were representing:
What are the obstacles for integrating disabled people into society?
What are the reasons for these obstacles?
What can we do to eliminate the causes?